Search This Blog

Showing posts with label rape. Show all posts
Showing posts with label rape. Show all posts

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Jameis Winston, DNA, rape, and the media

So one of the lead stories in the news the past couple weeks has been about a football player and his "association with" an alleged sexual assault in Tallahassee, Florida roughly a year ago.

If you've followed the story, you know that Florida State QB (and Heisman trophy favorite) Jameis Winston was "linked to" an alleged rape. At first no one knew what this meant.

Frankly, the media coverage reminded me of all those stories I heard in the news for years about people allegedly "associated with" or "linked to" al-Qaeda. You know, we apprehended this guy or killed that guy who was "associated with" or "linked to" al-Qaeda. Almost never did we learn what that association or link meant.

In the case of Winston, it could have simply meant he was a witness to the alleged sexual assault. That would associate him with or link him to it. The media jumped the gun--SURPRISE!--implying and at some times asserting that he was a suspect. They used words like "allegation" and "presumption of innocence" to suggest he might be charged or that he already had been charged. All of this occurred before there was literally any evidence he was a suspect.

Now that DNA test results show that his DNA matches that found in the accusers underwear (!!!), these kind of media reports seem justified in retrospect, but it does not change the fact that they were premature and unjustified, even irresponsible.

Now the media are reporting that the victim may have been coerced or warned by the police not to pursue the case. But that story could also just be a misunderstanding of what the cops actually told her. 

Read the statement of what the police allegedly said. 

Assuming it is even true (who knows, right, it's been almost a year!) were they encouraging her NOT to pursue it or were they telling her what would likely happen if she did? In other words, was it a warning NOT to pursue it or was it just an honest assessment of what she could expect?

The mainstream news seem to assume the former but perhaps--just perhaps--the latter is true and this is yet another rush to judgment by news organizations? (as a media scholar that would not surprise me). 

Who knows. 

Hopefully we will find out. 

I want to conclude by saying this: If Jameis Winston did this or had anything to do with it, I hope he gets what he deserves (and if he is charged with a felony, he is, by team policy, immediately suspended).

And if he did not do this or have anything to do with it (this is possible given the description of the suspect which does not match him at all), I hope the media get raked over the coals for their coverage of it.





Thursday, November 14, 2013

I smell something fishy. Very fishy.

So I am a fan of Florida State University (FSU) and its football team. After all, I have three degrees from there, including my PhD.

And while I know of the evils of big time college football, including many incidents that occurred at FSU, I am still a fan of the team. More than that, I am a fan of its freshman phenom QB, Jameis Winston.

I mean, this young man is not only an amazing football player and athletic talent (e.g., check out his baseball plays on YouTube), but he is also an amazing young man. Read about it here.

So this story that is now one of the lead stories in the nation is deeply troubling. Here is the account from USA Today (as you read it, see if you can find what is fishy about this story):

____________________________________________________


TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Tallahassee Police Department last year received a complaint of sexual battery against Florida State University star quarterback Jameis Winston.
No charges have been filed against Winston, and the investigation remains active. An attorney representing Winston denied the allegation.

"We've been cooperating with the law-enforcement agencies and we're hoping to get a quick resolution in favor of Mr. Winston," attorney Tim Jansen said Wednesday.

The school said in a statement that Winston's status with the Florida State football team, which he has led to a 9-0 record and No. 2 rank in the Bowl Championship Series standings, has not changed.
The complaint was filed Dec. 7, 2012, according to Tallahassee Police Department reports. The complainant is cooperating with the State Attorney's Office, said Officer David Northway, spokesman for TPD.

"The case is open and active and the victim is working with the State Attorney's Office," Northway said.

Jansen said he was told by Tallahassee police last February, about a week after they first contacted him, that the case had been closed. "I talked to the police officer," Jansen told USA TODAY Sports. "He said the case had been closed. I don't know of any reason for reopening it."

He said he found out Monday that a media outlet had requested relevant police records last Friday.
Jansen said Winston has not been interviewed by police or prosecutors.

Winston's regular weekly media availability was canceled earlier Wednesday. Shortly after the incident report had been released, Florida State issued a statement that said Winston and coach Jimbo Fisher would not address the topic. After practice, Winston spoke with reporters but would only discuss football-related topics.

"We are aware of a matter that was investigated by the Tallahassee Police Department almost a year ago," the school said in a statement. "Because the investigation has not been closed by TPD, we cannot comment further at this time. We look forward to a speedy resolution of the issue. There is no change in Jameis Winston's status."

At the site of his weekly radio show, Fisher did not mention the allegations. But he said of Winston: "I think the world of the young man. Always have."

Jansen said he provided eyewitness affidavits Tuesday to the State Attorney, William Meggs. Though Jansen would not disclose the details of the affidavits, he said, "They're witnesses who were present who can provide vital information."

TPD released an incident report on Wednesday in response to a request from the Tallahassee Democrat for any and all reports related to Winston.

The report, which was heavily redacted, does not mention Winston by name. It says the complaint was received at 4:01 a.m. and the alleged victim said sexual battery occurred earlier in the morning of Dec. 7, 2012, between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. The exact location was not listed, though the report says it happened at an apartment.

The suspect – name listed as "Unknown" – is described as a black male with a muscular build between 5-9 and 5-11 and 240 pounds, with "straight" black hair and brown eyes. Winston is listed by Florida State as 6-4, 228 pounds.

The narrative description from the investigating officer is redacted. The incident report indicated that evidence was collected from the complainant's body. Photos also were taken of the complainant. She told police she had been drinking alcohol "before/during offense."

Georgia Cappleman, chief assistant state attorney, said she can't discuss the case because it's an open investigation.

In a news release sent Wednesday night, Northway said TPD had received several requests from local and national media about the complaint of a sexual battery.

"The case was assigned to the Special Victims Unit," Northway said. "TPD is continuing its investigation and has consulted with the State Attorney as to the direction of the case."
The Democrat on Wednesday morning requested police reports involving Winston. Throughout the day, TPD officials said they were redacting documents in response to the request. At 4:59 p.m., Northway sent an email to a Democrat reporter containing the incident report. Minutes later the police department released the incident report, without reference to Winston, to other media.
Winston is a redshirt freshman and is widely considered the current frontrunner to win the Heisman Trophy.

Winston, who grew up in Hueytown, Ala., came to Florida State as one of the top recruits in the nation, choosing the Seminoles over Alabama. He was also rated as one of the top high school baseball prospects and played baseball at Florida State last season.

Despite redshirting last season while E.J. Manuel played quarterback, Winston was considered a future star by Florida State coaches, and he has not disappointed. From his debut in a victory at Pittsburgh in which he completed 25-of-27 passes, his star has only risen. He has passed for 26 touchdowns with only seven interceptions, rising to the top of the Heisman conversation.
Winston has also delivered impressive performances on the Seminoles' biggest stages, leading Florida State to a 51-14 victory at then-No. 4 Clemson and a 41-14 victory against then-No. 6 Miami. Several NFL draft experts project Winston to be the No. 1 overall pick when he is eligible in 2015.

____________________________________________________

Do you see it? The clear evidence above that this could not have been Winston?

Now, granted, the alleged victim had reportedly been drinking. So perhaps she got the guy's measurements wrong.

But I've seen this too many times before. Look up the case of Delbert Tibbs. Or Ronald Cotton. Or ... there are just so many more of these.

When a suspect does not match the description of the offender, he should not be a suspect. More importantly, the media should do a better job of making this the story rather than smearing someone's good name and character.

Instead, ESPN, which is owned by ABC, runs this headline: FSU QB Winston tied to 2012 sexual assault

"tied to"??? As in did it?

No, in their story, ESPN says "Winston part of investigation" and it notes: "The incident report does not name Winston and describes the offender as being between 5-foot-9 and 5-11. Winston is listed by Florida State as being 6-4."

So why the suggestive headline? And what about that presumption of innocence we supposedly value?

Does it look like I have straight hair?




Friday, June 10, 2011

Newsweek takes the extraordinary, makes it ordinary

After the alleged RAPE by an enormously wealthy, powerful man -- Dominique Strauss-Kahn -- Newsweek decided to conduct a poll and run an article about it.

It's called "Hotel Confidential" and in it, Newsweek claims: "It's the dirty secret about business travel. Many married men expect sex along with their room service, according to a NEWSWEEK poll."

Among the findings of their poll are these:

"... of 400 married men ... 21 percent admit to wanting to cheat on their spouse while traveling on business—and 8 percent have actually done so (the majority of them repeatedly)."

"Six percent of the respondents admitted to having paid for sex while traveling on business. Still others acknowledged that they’ve hit on the help: 3 percent of the men in NEWSWEEK’s poll said they’d made a pass at a hotel worker (more than half were rebuffed), and 2 percent had sex with them."

This hardly sounds like an epidemic. Further, it hardly justifies a full story in print and online about the dangers posed to hotel maids across the country!

After all, their own poll shows that 97% of men do NOT hit on hotel staff. And of the 3% who do, what percentage of them rape someone?

Yet, Newsweek writes: "Bo Dietl, TV personality and security consultant for the rich and famous, says he’s now advising clients to avoid any situation while traveling that might seem sexually inappropriate. 'In this day and age, you gotta just watch everybody,' he says."

Watch everybody? Nope, sorry, when I go to hotels I feel perfectly safe, as I am sure the maids do, too. The findings of Newsweek's poll convince me of that.

Finally, Newsweek links one story to many that are unrelated: "Certainly, powerful men behaving badly at hotels is hardly a novelty. NBA superstar Kobe Bryant was arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting a 19-year-old hotel employee in Eagle, Colo., in 2003 (the case was settled out of court). In 2006 former vice president Al Gore was accused of groping and kissing a massage therapist at a hotel in Portland, Ore. And it was at a Ritz-Carlton that sports announcer Marv Albert attacked his mistress and forced her to have oral sex after she refused to have a three-way (he pleaded guilty)."

So the problem is actually what powerful men do, no? On that, Newsweek is silent.



http://www.newsweek.com/2011/06/05/hotel-confidential.html

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Two crimes not connected, but still connected

 
 Two rapes reported last week; prosecution declined in both
Two women reported being raped in separate instances last week in Boone, but both declined prosecution when officers responded.

A woman reported that she was raped by her boyfriend at her home on Edgewood Drive just after midnight Feb. 8.

Sgt. Matt Stevens of the Boone Police Department said that the woman did not want officers to start an investigation, collect evidence or take her to the hospital.

"Even initially, she said, 'Never mind, I don't want to talk with you,'" Stevens said.

The Watauga Democrat does not name victims or alleged victims of sexual assault.

Stevens said that the two have filed charges against each other in the past, and the alleged perpetrator had sought warrants Feb. 7 against the woman for making threatening phone calls.

"Coincidentally or not, she was calling to report this incident mere hours after those charges were taken on her," he said.

A second, unrelated rape was reported about 12 hours later on Feb. 8 at Scottish Inns on Blowing Rock Road, and the woman also declined prosecution in that instance. The alleged victim and perpetrator also knew each other in the second case.

So what have we learned from these two, unrelated rapes? That women do not proesctue rape? Even when they report it?

How often? Why?

Such context is not provided in the news. Instead, the local paper links two unrelated crimes, even while acknowledging that they are unrelated.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/story/Two_rapes_reported_last_week%3B_prosecution_declined_in_both_id_004784