Chapel Hill police sent a heavily armed swat team to evict and arrest a group of some 80 Occupy Chapel Hill protesters who'd taken over a long vacant used car dealership (they also arrested members of the press covering the action).
- NYPD evicts 'Occupy Wall Street' protesters from Zuccotti Park, citing health and safety concerns, 70 arrested; protesters say court order allows them to return with tents and sleeping bags, while Mayor Bloomberg insists park will reopen to 'free speech,' not another tent city.
- VIDEO: 'Occupy Wall Street' Protesters Evicted From NYC Park
- PHOTOS: Police Clear Out Protesters
- VIDEO: 'Occupy' Oakland Camp Disbanded for Second Time
- City Officials Resume 'Occupy London' Eviction Moves
- HAPPENING NOW: Live Chat
So, recall that argument by some scholars in the book that the police have historically been used to maintain the status quo in society? And that the media generally fail to report on it.
Well, it's happening now! And it is in the news!