Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Anti-gay violence in reggae music

Thanks to my brother, I grew up a major fan of reggae music, and I still listen to it religiously. I even named my son "Marley."

Most reggae is peaceful, some revolutionary, and it usually stands up for the "little guy" (all things I like).

Not so with "murder music," a form of reggae music, mostly from Jamaica, that expresses clear support for violence and murder against homosexuals.


According to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), "Jamaica’s cultural homophobia has deep historical roots. The island’s fundamentalist brand of Christianity and its indigenous Rastafarian religion both condemn homosexuality in the strongest terms." 

Unfortunately, even some huge stars, like Buju Banton (Jamaican), sing about killing gay men.

I've listened to artists such as Pato Banton (born in England, no relation to Buju) express their anti-homosexual opinions in their music. For example, in the song "Pato's Opinion" he sings:

"Although I've lost my dread
I haven't lost my sight
and until my day of rest
I will follow your light.
I will fight against injustice
hypocrites, parasites and sodomites
and over evil will I win
with the truth and the right."

So I'm aware that many reggae artists are homophobic. And I'm fine with them expressing their own opinions, especially in songs titled things like "Pato's Opinion."

But expressing violence against human beings it a totally different situation. It's wrong, and people should not support artists who do it. So I will support the "Stop Murder Music" campaign.

My favorite reggae musicians did not and do not produce "murder music." And for that, I thank Jah, er, I mean, God.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2010/winter/harmonies-of-hate

2 comments:

  1. The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is a step in the right direction. As awful as we accuse ourselves of being, we do seem to slowly take steps toward greater inclusion as a society, perhaps not as quickly as some European countries have, but then again, their rapid pace of change has, at times, precipitated some pretty nasty series of events.

    I think our slow pace of change, frustrating as it can be at times, creates a more solidly protected foundation of individual rights, in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about change in the US, and this is one I really welcome!

    ReplyDelete