Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

This is what zero tolerance policing looks like

Throwing homeless people in jail.

Even in San Francisco.

Police leaders claim this reduces crime. But they're wrong. Evidence shows zero tolerance policing has no effect on the crime rate, but it does produce serious civil liberties and human rights issues.

When I was in San Francisco last month for a professional conference (criminology conference ironically), I saw a lot of homeless people, and never did anyone get aggressive, even when asking for money. I did see a man nearly attack a woman, but he was just a thug who could not take no for an answer. Let's throw those guys in jail and simply provide housing for the homeless.

I have a plan. Later I'll show how easily this could be done, using the money we have now.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/149266/police_state%3A_%22lefty%22_san_francisco_can_throw_people_in_jail_for_sitting_on_a_sidewalk

No comments:

Post a Comment