This is why I don't watch the local news ...
Channel 36, NBC from Charlotte, at 4pm, which they declared to be "news you need to know" ...
1) Super Bowl champs return home (this is relevant for us because???). Perhaps this is due to the fact that NBC carried the Super Bowl?
2) Man walks into Wal Mart, steals a flat screen TV that was on display ... they showed his picture and said "We need your help finding this man."
3) Fatal accident, charges pending. Story includes video from the scene.
4) Man on bike exposes himself while riding the bike!
5) Speaking of sex offenders! Did you know there is a new APP for your phone that allows you to search for sex offenders in your area, and even can alert you via text messages if you sign up? We'll show you how later in the news!
6) Water line breaks, causing a major delay in the local courts! People show up only to be turned away. Angry woman with poor English skills expresses frustration.
7) "More unrest in the Middle East." True (Syria) but relevant for the local news?
8) Riot at UMASS after Patriots lose Super Bowl. Police come out, use tear gas. And this is news because?
9) Speaking of the Super Bowl, the ratings show it was the most watched show even on US TV!
10) Man loses hundreds of pounds, we'll show you how!
11) Quick weather update, more coming later.
So I think you get the point. This is where I turned it off, 15 minutes in.
Only thing left -- weather, sports, feel good story.
Did I feel more informed? Nope. So what is the point of the "news?"