Search This Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Crime on Campus



Federal law requires universities to share information about campus crimes -- to make this information available to the public.

Apparently, we need to know right away, too.

I just got this in an email from the university police:

At approximately 7:50pm this evening, a non-student reported to ASU Police that an unknown white male, approximately 5’ 8”in his early 20’s attempted to rob him outside the library parking deck on campus. The suspect was reported to have a small automatic pistol and fled campus toward King Street. ASU Police and Boone Police officers searched the area and at approximately 9:30pm the suspect was taken into custody. The suspect is a 19 year old white male from Thomasville, NC. He is not an ASU student. Investigation continues by ASU Police.
Props to ASU for not locking down campus, at least I assume! (unlike the last time a guy with a gun supposedly was near campus)

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand why the federal law requires the university to share information about campus crimes. I mean I guess I can understand, however I feel like this just causes an outbreak of fear among students. Personally, when the story came out about the kid getting kidnapped last year, I was definitely fearful at night walking around campus by myself. Now that I know it was not true, I am slightly skeptical about all these emails we receive. Since it seems that most of them are untrue or fabricated. I think that the only thing these emails do, is cause fear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see why the police stated in the crime report that the guy was charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon. While they claim the suspect had a hand gun with him when he robbed the victim. Though no gun was found when the police caught up to him. If there was no gun found on the suspect when he was arrested, then it shouldn't be mentioned in the crime report. It only adds greater fear within the community and students.

    ReplyDelete